Human Rights Research & Advocacy Assistant (Paid Internship)
I. Who We Are
In Sanskrit, Manushya means ‘Human Being’. Manushya Foundation (Manushya) was founded in 2017 by Emilie Palamy Pradichit, with the vision to build a movement of Equal Human Beings ∞ #WeAreManushyan ∞ Manushya is an Intersectional Feminist organization reinforcing the power of Humans, in particular local communities and women human rights defenders, to fight for Human Rights, Equality & Justice!
∞ Our Vision ∞ #WeAreManushyan • Equal Human Beings • We Believe in the ‘Infinite Positive Power of Humans’ in building together inclusive, just, equal and peaceful societies in Asia, where everyone enjoys human rights, leaving no one behind.
∞ Our Mission ∞ We connect and reinforce the power of local communities across Asia to be at the center of decisions and policies that affect them. Communities become Agents of Change fighting for their rights and providing solutions to improve their lives and livelihoods.
∞ Our Thematic Focus ∞
- Digital Rights: We work towards the promotion and protection of online freedom of expression and online privacy.
- Business & Human Rights / Climate Justice: We’re committed to put People & Planet over Profit!
- United Nations Accountability Mechanisms: We reinforce the power of local communities to engage with UN Human Rights Mechanisms, ensuring their voices and needs are taken into account to improve the situation on the ground. We also pursue international litigation cases to bring Justice to communities!
- Women Leaders: We apply a gender lens to our work and ensure women human rights defenders lead human rights decisions and initiatives.
- Resourcing Human Rights Defenders: We provide subgrants to marginalized communities affected by unfair policies and facing the most adverse impacts of business conducts.
∞ How does change happen? Check our website and social media platforms to learn more about our Theory Of Change, strategies, and campaigns!
Our Social Media:
II. Our Internship Programme
The Manushya Foundation offers an opportunity for interns to develop a unique experience in supporting local communities and in improving the human rights situation on the ground. We are a small NGO, with the advantages and constraints attached. Every staff member plays an important role and carries responsibilities. Dedication is key as it greatly impacts the work of the organisation. It is therefore necessary to embrace the vision and goals of the organisation and fully commit to its success.
1. Description of Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Human Rights Research & Campaign Associate, the Human Rights Research & Advocacy Assistant would be working remotely or would be based at the offices of Manushya Foundation, in Bangkok, Thailand (due to COVID-19, we are WFH – but shall adopt a hybrid office-based strategy by February 2022). The Human Rights Research & Advocacy Assistant would primarily support and be responsible for supporting the work of Manushya Foundation in relation to digital rights, women’s rights, and access to justice for HRDs and marginalized communities via international litigation (UN human rights mechanisms):
- Research: support the development of research outputs contributing to Manushya Foundation’s thematic focus on digital rights, women’s rights & empowerment, women’s rights, and access to justice for HRDs and marginalized communities via international litigation (UN human rights mechanisms). Particular focus will be given to the ‘#StopDigitalDictatorship’ research and campaign under Manushya’s digital rights’ portfolio, the AI Ethics and governance study, and the implementation on UN recommendations received by Thailand during its 3rd UPR review on 10 November 2021 (#WhatsHappeningInThailand campaign) & its CERD review on 22-23 November 2021 (#FightRacism campaign).
- Writing: Write accurate, unbiased, comprehensive, and timely reports and other research documents (often including images, audio, video, data analysis, and/or online tools) that include policy recommendations intended to contribute to ending violations by businesses on human rights.
- Advocacy: support Manushya Foundation’s advocacy strategies at the national and international levels to lobby relevant government agencies and parliamentarians, United Nations instances, to ensure countries in ASEAN respect international human rights standards.
- Campaigning & Comms: support Manushya Foundation’s campaigns on digital rights and related to UN human rights mechanisms by developing campaigning outputs and engagement on social media platforms, drafting website stories, blog posts, and knowledge products and resources to promote the work of Manushya Foundation. When required, support Manushya Foundation’s Social Media Management by assisting in developing social media content (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Admin support: support the logistics and admin related to workshops and meetings, when required.
- Assist in any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
2. Profile needed
- Degree in international law, human rights, international development, or any related field;
- Interest in international human rights mechanisms and the United Nations system;
- Very good knowledge and understanding of international human rights standards and obligations related to freedom of expression, digital rights, women’s rights;
- Ability to develop accurate, compelling research outputs on business and human rights issues;
- Ability to develop research aimed at a range of audiences;
- Strong analytical skills and dedication;
- Very good command of oral and written English;
- Experience working in the human rights field is a strong asset;
- Growth mindset, initiative-taking, and the ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Good command of SLACK and Click-up to foster good internal project management and communication.
How to apply
The internship is full-time and paid for a period of six months to start in January 2022.
To apply for this role, please send your:
- Cover letter,
- Two writing samples,
- and an answer of no more than 500 words to one of the following questions:
- Shall we regulate AI to protect human rights in SEA?
- What is the current state of digital rights in SEA?
- Are UN human rights monitoring mechanisms useful to address human rights violations in authoritarian countries?
Email: send your files to WeAreManushyan@manushyafoundation.org
The deadline is 15 December 2021.
Good Luck! :)