ADVERTISEMENT: PROJECT SPECIALIST-HEALTH
Through the Strategic Planning Advisors for Education and School Health in Africa (SPAEHSA) project, MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership plans to work with ministries of education and health and global, regional, and local school health partners to strengthen systems for health programming in schools. Participants in this two-year project will benefit from and contribute to the global evidence on health in schools. The project will demonstrate how the implementation of comprehensive school health policies contributes to the sustainable prevention and mitigation of infectious disease outbreaks and endemic health issues for school-age children, making the education system resilient to future health emergencies and improving conditions for learning. The post holder will be responsible for overall implementation of the project to meet project outcomes as well as build relationships with stakeholders and government officials working in the Ministry of Health (MOH) and Ministry of Education (MOE) to support the successful implementation of the MCGL initiatives.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Review of existing National policies and guidance manuals on School Health Policy. Ensuring that the country specific reports detail strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of current School Health Policies with recommendations for enhancements.
- Updated School Health policy include processes and system for Ministry of Education (MoE), Ministry of Health (MoH), and other relevant ministries to coordinate in order to anticipate, prevent and mitigate health issues affecting school-age children.
- Develop M&E tools from adaptations of existing global school health tools
- Country-level School Health M&E tools are collected and shared across participating countries
- School Health “promising practice” recommendations are developed and supported by empirical evidence
- In Country School Health network, including MoE and MoH members as well as MCGL partners, is established to facilitate uptake and continued implementation improved School Health Policy
- Document education sector COVID-19 response and use of the school health platform to identify good practices at the country level, highlighting potential for the identification, mitigation and prevention of future infectious disease epidemics.
- Collaborate with academic partners to compare what has been implemented in the field with the empirical evidence documented of school health successes pre and post COVID-19
- Facilitate cross country exchanges (virtual or in-person) to share school health successes, challenges, and opportunities.
- High-impact school health interventions are identified, clearly indicating the supporting empirical evidence, as well as what may be lacking. Empirical results and progress are presented to broader education and health country regional and global community through technically recognized conferences and relevant global networks.
- Provide overall leadership, and oversee the implementation of the MCGL project.
- Develop and maintain detailed implementation plan and annual and quarterly work plans for MCGL project.
- Ensure the timely and efficient implementation of the MCGL project as described in the Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP).
- In Collaboration with the field based staff, prepare annual and quarterly work plans and ensure that program activities are implemented as planned and within the approved budget.
- Identify operations research questions, participate in protocol development and support and supervise research activities in collaboration with MEAL technical specialist.
Finance & Grant Management
- Monitor monthly expenditure and track MCGL project budgets to ensure that spending on the program is in line with the approved budgets.
- Submission of Donor finance reports.
* Work with Technical specialist to prepare donor Project reports;
* Prepare field trip reports.
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Number of Vacancies: 1
Work Location: Nairobi
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualification in MBChB, nurse/clinician, Masters in Education or/ with Administration and Management with post graduate qualification in Public Health, Administration and Management or other related disciplines;
- Technical policy review experience;
- Experience working with Kenya national Ministry of Health or Ministry of education;
- Proven experience of undertaking health and/or education research with outstanding skills in qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis;
- Ability to draw empirically strong and valid policy conclusions and recommendations;
- Experience of working with the Department of Adolescent and School Health is an added advantage;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets.
- Experience solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in.
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner.
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies.
- Commitment to Save the Children values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
How to apply
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS50YW1iYS40MTA3MC4xMjE4NUBzYXZldGhlY2hpbGRyZW5hby5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20