Position: SBCC/Gender officer
Job Grade: 6
Reporting to: Regional Manager
Location: West Nile Uganda
The Africa Christian Health Associations Platform (ACHAP) is a regional organization of Christian Health Associations and networks covering several countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
established through a declaration of commitment by the 3rd Africa Christian Health Associations Biennial Conference held in Bagamoyo, Tanzania in January 2007. ACHAP brings together more than 40 national level faith-based networks providing services in 32 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa to share resources, establish technical working groups (TWGs), and provide ongoing training and technical assistance (TA) to its members. In addition, governments see ACHAP members as critical players and, in many African countries, partner with them to provide health support services, even to government facilities.
We are hiring A Social Behaviour Change Communications (SBCC) and Gender Program Officer for the ACHAP Afya project a three-year USAID/GH-funded regional project (July 7, 2020–July 3, 2023) that aims to improve the quality of health service delivery for family planning (FP); maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health (MNCAH); nutrition; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) at community and primary healthcare facility levels in Kenya and Uganda. It is implemented in Kilifi County in Kenya and West Nile Region (Arua and Nebbi districts) in Uganda. This is a full-time position based in Arua City.
Responsible for providing technical leadership for SBCC and gender mainstreaming in the ACHAP Afya project. The responsibilities will include providing leadership in designing and implementing a SBCC and gender mainstreaming strategies, training, and implementation of interventions.
- Provide technical direction to define and implement SBCC and Gender strategies for the ACHAP Afya project to increase demand for high quality and high impact interventions in MNCH, FP, Nutrition and WASH at the community level.
- Review literature and use program information to identify gender and social norms that affect utilization of FP, MNCAH, Nutrition and WASH services in ACHAP Afya project areas.
- Develop SBCC/ Gender packages, frameworks, tools, messages, and materials to support the use of high quality and high impact interventions in FP, MNCAH, Nutrition and WASH by frontline workers at the community level.
- Develop detailed implementation plans for supported SBCC/Gender interventions and ensure high quality and timeline delivery of deliverables against intended objectives, targets, and timelines.
- Build the capacity of ACHAP Afya project team, its partners and frontline workers in SBCC/ Gender through trainings, mentoring, coaching, and on-demand technical assistance, as required.
- Provide oversight to the SBCC/ Gender program components, including undertaking field visits to oversee implementation, provide on-site feedback on required improvements, and generate field visit reports with timely and appropriate follow up on action points.
- Identify and support documentation of best practices and use them to profile the impact of local-level SBCC/ Gender approaches and promote learning and lesson sharing in projects as well as for the ACHAP constituency.
- Represent the project to internal and external partners, including the MoH, other project partners and key stakeholders on relevant SBCC/Gender technical engagements at national and sub-national levels.
- Support ACHAP & its partners in the development and implementation of SBCC/gender mainstreaming strategies.
- Any other related duty.
· Bachelor’s degree in Community development, Sociology/ Social or Behavioral Sciences, Development Studies, Public Health, or related fields; A Master’s degree shall be an added advantage.
· At least 5 years of SBCC/ Gender mainstreaming -specific experience in designing, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of approaches and materials as well as related training;
· Strong organizational skills and ability to lead a stream of work;
· Proficient writing and verbal communication skills;
· Ability to work independently as well as in cooperation with a multi-cultural team;
· Ability to think creatively and strategically.
· Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
How to apply
Interested qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter indicating the position, names and contacts of three professional referees to ACHAP Human Resources Department via email@example.com by COB 3rd December 2021
Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted.