Trócaire is a social justice organisation working in partnership with local organisations and communities to tackle the root causes of poverty, injustice, and violence. We support people to use their own power to create positive and lasting change. Trócaire works in up to 20 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
Trocaire’s TB programme coordinator for Jubaland State, Somalia, will oversee the implementation of activities in all TB Management Units (TBMUs) under Trocaire’s care. The TB Coordinator will provide technical leadership and management oversight to the project. S/he will over-see all aspects of project implementation, including programme quality, personnel and financial management. S/he will ensure close coordination with World Vision and other stakeholders, ensuring that all project interventions are of high quality and lead to measurable impact. S/he will be responsible for timely and adequate implementation of project activities, deliverables, execution, monitoring and reporting of the project. S/he will support the Health and Nutrition Programmes Manager in the provision of operational and technical support to ensure quality implementation and local capacity development for effective implementation. The TB coordinator will provide the needed linkage to TBMUs, ensuring that they are adequately supported, and that issues are appropriately escalated for timely resolution. S/he will be responsible for the timely submission of quarterly reports from the TBMUs, conduct regular supervision and on job training to TBMUs as required. S/he will ensure the TBMUs implement TB services in accordance with World Health Organization (WHO) agreed protocols and guidelines for Somalia.
The TB Coordinator should have a broad knowledge of HIV/AIDS & TB strategies and internationally recognized best practices along with experience in managing HIV/AIDS & TB activities. They must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, including ability to lead and work in a team. Leadership qualities are essential, including demonstrated experience working closely with government and WHO decision makers and program managers in challenging environments.
Reporting to Health and Nutrition Programme Manager, this is a one year fixed-term contract (renewable) based in Jubaland, Somalia. The TB Coordinator will manage and coordinate a team across various districts in JL State.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults
Trócaire is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct), which outlines the expected behaviours and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives.
Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. All offers of employment will be subject to pre-employment checks, including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g., police/Garda vetting, counterterrorism and anti-trafficking). Trócaire also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, and all employees will be subject to this as part of the contract of employment.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of programme work plans and strategies aligned with National TB programme
- In collaboration with Health & Nutrition Manager, ensure TBMUs operate under the required WHO recommendations and standard TB Treatment guidelines are put in place.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates activities to ensure that goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters
- Coordinate and work with WHO to ensure appropriate training of TBMUs staff to advise on TBMUs stocks levels of anti TB drugs and laboratory supplies.
- Conduct regular site visits to TB facilities, identify challenges and co-create action plans to speed implementation and support quality treatment outcomes
- Supervise and mentor facility-level TBMUs staff in the proper implementation of TB/PAL diagnosis and treatment protocols.
- identify staff capacity gaps and mobilize training to improve the operational and organizational capacity of sub-recipient partners
- conduct periodic site visits and onsite data verification and data quality audits, providing reports to DM&E function to target improvements in data quality.
- Contribute to program gap analysis at the TBMUs and inform the health and Nutrition programme manager
Human Resource, Finance, Logistics & Systems Management
- Effectively performance manage staff of TB units.
- Support, mentor, and coach TBMU staff as part of their professional development and help them be highly effective in their work.
- Foster a culture of peer support and constructive engagement amongst the TBMU team.
- Hold and document monthly meetings that focus on strategy and operations.
- Maintain oversight of the TB programme finances and budgets; ensure proper donor and organisational programme financial management.
- Establish a system of ongoing communication with the Finance and Admin Manager to oversee programme finances and jointly address any issues encountered. Ensure full compliance, utilisation of and critical oversight of Trócaire’s management information systems, including Salesforce and Box.
Policy, Advocacy and Communications
- Proactively drive an evidence-based agenda around advocacy for comprehensive TB prevention and treatment at the country level (and internationally where appropriate).
- Actively engage and communicate with government and Global TB officials on progress in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the TB in JL State in the context of global TB commitments, strategies and targets.
- Support organisational requests for materials or host visits related to Trocaire’s TB programme.
- Engage strategically, with the support of Programme Officers, in key thematic spaces, working groups, and networks relevant to Trócaire’s programming in the country.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Fulfil all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as requested by the H&N Programme Manager.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
Medical Doctor with public health background
- At least 3 years of project management experience with extensive Global fund engagement experience.
- Knowledge and working experience in the field of Public Health.
- Past experience working in TB and HIV / AIDS programme preferred.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills, keen attention to detail with an analytic approach to work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written with beneficiaries, health authorities and other partners.
- Ability to pro-actively identify quality challenges to the delivery of services and formulate solutions.
- Ability to integrate TB Programme with other health services to maximize case detection, prevention, patient care & support as well as reducing stigma.
- Good collaboration skills in working with stakeholders in implementing the TB program.
- Ability to motivate staff to align behind a shared vision and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Ability to manage budgets and financial systems.
- Highly organised, with excellent planning, prioritisation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Competent in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel).
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Somali
- Ability and willingness to travel within the JL State and internationally, if required.
- Commitment to principles of safeguarding of programme participants.
Person Specification – Desirable
- Master’s degree in Public Health.
- Experience working in Jubaland State.
How to apply
For the Candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trocaire Offers a competitive package of salary and benefits
The closing date for receipt of applications is 17th August 2022.
For full details of this position, please see job description attached. To apply, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter (quoting the job title above) to: https://trocaire.workable.com/