IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Media Engagement Specialist candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded media and civil society strengthening project in Mongolia. This project seeks to bolster meaningful citizen participation in Mongolia’s democracy by strengthening social accountability mechanisms and improving public access to information in Mongolia. The Media Engagement Specialist will be based in Ulaanbaatar and will support the Chief of Party (COP) in providing overall day to day management and coordination of the project’s implementation. This Specialist will also serve as the technical expert/advisor in the design and implementation of interventions to support activities that will improve public access to information.
Citizens of Mongolia or residents with work authorization are encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership on all media related activities, to include building capacity of media actors in investigative journalism; promoting and supporting factchecking; and improving media literacy
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Support the COP in providing overall day to day management and coordination of project technical and administrative personnel and functions
- Work with local, national, and international media outlets and journalists to develop networks and support media exchange programs
- Work with Chief of Party to develop programming and resources related to supporting media organizations reach broader audiences and increase consumption for investigative journalism.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting the media community in Mongolia
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Mongolian citizenship or residency with work authorization is highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related fields required; master’s degree preferred
- At least eight (8) years of progressive international or local experience working in enhancing investigative journalism, reducing political disinformation, media capacity building, or related fields in Mongolia
- Senior managerial experience on an international donor-funded program preferred
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in Mongolia, as well as of the current issues facing the media sector
- Familiarity with the key government stakeholders, relevant private sector actors and civil society organizations working on media issues, and an understanding of the dynamics and relationships among them
- Significant experience in managing similar donor-funded development projects
- Similar experience with another USAID-funded project; knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures, preferred
- Substantial experience in implementing complex media development projects
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively on the technical aspects of implementation with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials, media and civil society, high-level host country host government counterparts, and other international partners
- Proven experience developing capacity of media practitioners and organizations, and assisting local media organizations to apply new skills
- Experience reaching and engaging youth audiences
- Effective oral and written communication credentials in both English and Mongolian is required
- Strong representational and organizational skills
How to apply
Click on https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ovWAkfw5&s=ReliefWeb to submit your CV along with a cover letter that summarizes your experience and includes your salary range requirements.