Anticipated Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center for Global Health call Ref CDC-RFA-GH22-2209
I Choose Life – Africa (ICL) is a youth-focused organization that seeks to empower youth in Kenya and across Africa as the foundation for sustainable development. Registered in 2004 and working closely with Government, ICL has over 17 years of experience implementing evidence-based adolescents and youth programs in over 345 institutions (Primary, Secondary, and Higher learning institutions) across 26 Counties in Kenya. The organization implements programs in Health and Nutrition, Education, Economic Empowerment, and Leadership and Governance Sectors. To ensure maximum impact in these sectors, ICL utilizes a multi-sectoral approach, the Quadra Helix development approach (which brings together the Government, Private sector, Academia, and Civil society) to foster innovative and sustainable transformation in communities.
Vision & Mission: ICL’s Vision Statement: Healthy Africa, Empowered People!
ICL’s Mission Statement: To empower the youth by increasing their life opportunities for sustainable development.
Job Purpose: ICL seeks a Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Lead for an anticipated CDC-funded PEPFAR opportunity in Kenya. The Activity is expected to be a five-year contract to advance Sustainable Implementation of Comprehensive HIV Prevention and Treatment Programs in Faith-based and Private Sites in Nairobi, the Coast, and Western Regions.
This position is contingent upon an award from the CDC.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Principal Investigator, The Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Lead will provide technical support in building the capacity of the county leadership and Health Management Team towards ownership and utilization of high quality and sustainable HIV prevention and treatment services. Notably, the position shall facilitate a seamless link between service delivery interventions and county capacity for systems development, including leadership and governance, Human Resources for health, planning, budgeting, and finance.
- In conjunction with the technical staff, take the lead in supporting counties to undertake HSS capacity assessments, set priorities, develop and implement capacity strengthening plans.
- Develop and implement a robust Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) plan for the transition by identifying key performance indicators with clear milestones through the life of the project to track the transition process and objectives outlined in the grant’s proposal towards sustainability.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen the institutional capacity of county health systems management to implement quality health services.
- Work closely with technical staff to provide technical assistance in mainstreaming HSS in their technical service areas
- Provide expert support in developing and applying HSS tools (gap analysis, supervisory, etc.).
- Provide strategic oversight and supervision support to the county management in budgeting for essential services.
- Coordinate identification of training and system improvement needs and support the implementation of relevant training modules targeting health workers and service providers
- Support the sharing of lessons learned, promising practices, and practical strategies to enable the county government, particularly the county health management team, to advance toward the desired HSS results.
- Work closely with other project staff to ensure that project strategies and approaches are delivered in a coherent and coordinated way, work with the national mechanisms in line with
- Ensure implementation of HSS work plans and achievement of results across all implementation regions
- Provide regular narrative and milestone reports, internal monitoring, and donor reporting as required.
- Supervise and line manage HSS Officers providing technical support in implementing the organization’s policies.
- Build strong partnerships with the government and other key stakeholder to ensure the project is in line with government priorities and the successful implementation of the project
- Actively identify and follow up on opportunities to leverage support and resources for the project that will contribute to or further the objectives of the project
- Master’s degree or higher or significant practical experience in Public Health, Social and/or Behavioral Sciences or a related field, with specific experience emphasis on Health Systems Strengthening
- Minimum of twelve (10) years of professional experience, with five (5) years of experience in designing and implementing large-scale US government-funded HIV Health Systems Strengthening projects in a similar context
- Experience in a leadership/management role for a project of similar size and complexity, including experience with direct supervision of professional staff.
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of senior and mid-level public and private sector counterparts, donors, and other key stakeholders
- Prior experience in building capacity for staff, partners, healthcare providers, and relevant stakeholders in improving health
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain professional relationships and work collaboratively with host country government counterparts and project stakeholders
- Experience in resource mobilization and donor relations would be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of office software packages and database packages and experience in handling web-based management systems
Child Safeguarding: In line with United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNCRC), ICL strives to keep children safe in all its undertakings. The successful applicant will be required to read, understand, and commit to abide by ICL Child Safeguarding Policy and guidelines. The individual will sign the policies to indicate an understanding of and commitment to follow the policy requirements.
How to apply
If you are up to the challenge and meet the above qualifications, we encourage you to write to us through teamiq.com (to get a link upon posting) and copy firstname.lastname@example.org indicating achievements and attributes. Your CV and cover letter should reach us on or before 31st January 2022. Kindly indicate the current and expected salary on your CV in pdf format with the subject as ”**Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Lead”**
The position opens to Kenyan Citizens Only!