Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion Director, Rwanda
ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion Director for an anticipated agriculture program in Rwanda funded by USAID. This activity will sustainably increase smallholder farmers’ income, improve the nutritional status of women and children, and increase the resilience of Rwanda’s agriculture market and food systems to a changing climate.
The Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion Director will lead the development and implementation of the program’s overall strategy for gender, youth, and social inclusion and will ensure the integration of women, youth, and other vulnerable populations into all program activities. The program is anticipated to start in 2022 and this position is envisioned to be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Lead development and oversee implementation of the program’s overall gender, youth, and social inclusion (GYSI) strategy.
- Collaborate with value chain and other lead personnel to ensure the integration of GYSI concepts and approaches into all program activities, including technical implementation, monitoring, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Provide technical advice and trainings to program staff, partners, and stakeholders to build their capacity to integrate gender, youth, and other relevant social considerations into designing interventions, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Lead or assist in the design and implementation of GYSI analyses, impact assessments and other learning studies.
- Review and provide input to project work plans, with attention to GYSI dimensions of technical activities and operations and discuss GYSI issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists.
- Support the M&E Lead to ensure that all data is disaggregated by sex and age in data collection processes, analysis and reporting. Work with M&E team to develop GYSI indicators and learning questions, and ensure that the project reports on gender, youth, and social inclusion outcomes and impacts.
- Lead or assist in the preparation of reports and documents for submission to USAID and ACDI/VOCA home office.
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of GYSI related to project components.
- Write, coordinate, and disseminate lessons learned among team and program stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent in agriculture, economics, business administration, sociology, gender, international development, or another relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years prior work experience in international development, preferably in an agricultural or market systems context, including at least 5 years’ experience in GYSI and/or resilience programming.
- 5 years of managing staff strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of proven approaches and best practices for integrating women, youth, and other historically excluded populations into agriculture, market systems, and/or food security programs.
- In-depth knowledge of gender, youth, and other social inclusion considerations (constraints and opportunities) in agricultural sector in Rwanda.
- Experience with agriculture productivity, agribusiness, private sector engagement, and market development is preferred.
- Knowledge of do no harm, women’s empowerment, and positive youth development frameworks and approaches is required.
- Previous USAID-funded project experience strongly preferred.
- Experience conducting gender analysis and research a plus.
- Experience working in Rwanda strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English required.
Rwandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. ACDI/VOCA will never request payment or charge a fee to apply for any position.