Job Title: Country Manager-Somalia
Reports to: Kenya-Somalia CR
Department: EARO/Mogadishu, Somalia
Based in Mogadishu, the Country Manager will manage and represent the country program office, advancing programming and operations objectives and the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your management and representation skills will enable you to advance CRS’ reputation and impact while you proactively manage security and mitigate security risks and liabilities.
Country Program Background
CRS began working in Somalia in 1961 responding with food to assist flood victims and established its first office there in 1964. The 2011 Horn of Africa Drought prompted CRS’ return. Since 2011, CRS has implemented a number of large humanitarian projects in multiple sectors with funding from multiple donors, primarily USAID.
Today, CRS continues to respond to the urgent needs of the Somali people through meeting their immediate needs (food and water); providing essential services (health, nutrition and protection); creating and rehabilitating critical infrastructure (latrines and wells); and restoring productive assets and purchasing power to build their resilience and promote long-term, sustainable solutions. The current portfolio of CRS programming in Somalia is implemented through several trusted and long-term civil society partners.
Required Language s – Fluent written and spoken English, professional proficiency in Somali an added advantage.
Travel- Approximately 30% travel within Somalia as security allows
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Team leadership abilities.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing high-value projects from multiple international donors, including USAID; knowledge of relevant donor regulations.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Ability to represent the agency at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Chief of Party, Emergency Coordinator, Grants & Compliance Accountant, Administrative Officer, and Security and Liaison officer.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: EARO RD, DRD/PQ, DRD/MQ and RFO, HRD colleagues, HQ colleagues in PIQA and OpEx departments, USOps, Finance, HR, Audit and Charitable Giving.
External: donor agencies, host country government agencies, international and national non-governmental organizations, UN agencies, US Embassy.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Disclaimer*: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.*
To ensure the safety of our staff, our partners, and the people we serve, CRS requires that staff be vaccinated against Covid-19. CRS complies with all federal and state laws to allow for accommodations, as needed with supporting documentation. However, accommodations may limit the roles that candidates are eligible for based on role requirements (e.g., travel, meetings with staff, partner, donors).
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply